07 October 2011

Good things come to those who wait.

I waited 18 years to get a puppy. For the first 7 years of my life dogs scared me to death. We moved when I was seven. Our neighbors had two dachshunds that changed my mind and softened my heart. The next year, we moved again and our neighbors across the street had the most wonderful dog. She was my adoptive pet and my love for dogs and desire to have one grew. For years I begged for a puppy of my own. I bargained and pleaded to no avail. I promised myself that I would definitely marry someone who would let me have a dog. When I met Mike, he had two dogs, two cats and a snake. I knew this guy would let me have a puppy one day! I waited some more, through school while Dad said no, through college when the dorms said no, in Birmingham when the landlord said no, my first year in Denver when my roommate said no. So I waited some more... Six months after Mike and I married, we found out about a litter of puppies set to be born in June. We prayed for the litter and for the puppy that was to be ours. We knew it was finally time.
Looking back, there were so many times over 18 years when my deep desire was to have a dog but that desire wasn't fulfilled. God knows how to best fulfill the desire of our hearts. I can't imagine a more perfect puppy and am so thankful that I waited for her. I always wanted a sweet dog to be my pal but never knew it was possible to have a dog like Summit. She's the sweetest, most perceptive, friendly cuddle bug. I never knew a dog could bring such joy and comfort.

I want a life filled with Summits. Peaks that are more than worth the wait. Blessings that are more then I ever knew to ask for. And for that, I'm content to wait.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I love the way you are seeing God's hand in your life - both in the past and the present/future. I really do believe Psalm 37:4 is such a powerful testimony for your right now!

    ReplyDelete