19 May 2012

Do Something

I have struggled with leaving Uganda and returning home. Sure it's more "comfortable" here and I know we need to be here for Mike to go to school but it's hard to not be there, helping. Once you know the suffering you can't be ignorant to it any longer. I know that Mike and I can't fulfill all the needs but I do know that we know people. Who know people. Who know people. You know people.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need."Romans 12:12-13

There are needs. Real tangible needs that are large on the human scale but the cost is relatively small from an American perspective. We each have so much we don't need which becomes apparent when you witness people living without their basic needs met. Most of us can't move to Uganda and take in a whole houseful of orphans to love and care for but we can deny ourselves a few of our luxuries to be able to provide food, clothing and the opportunity to go to school for the least of these.

We can make a difference. We can unite our churches, communities, companies and friends to join with us to sacrifice a little to make a big difference.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21

How you can help:
Sponsorship - for $1-4 per day you can provide food, clothing, shoes, schooling and medical care for a child desperately in need. The next post will include photos and info for the kids most in need of sponsorship.
  - Primary school kids (to about age 12): $60/month*
  - Secondary school and vocational kids: $90/month
  - University students: $120/month
         *can be split between multiple sponsors (min of $30/month per sponsor)

Immediate Needs
  - Van for ministry transport: $35,000-$40,000
  - Teen Girl's Home (for older orphans): $50,000

Ministry Growth

  - Children's Homes (for orphans with a house mother): $45,000 each
  - Clinic: $50,000
  - Dining Hall for the school: $150,000
  - School (with ten classrooms, desks, chairs and chalkboards): $175,000*
         *I am in fervent prayer that someone will supply the funds to fulfill this urgent need. Currently kids as young as sixth grade have to go to away to boarding school - where they spend 13 hours a day, six days a week in class. They are fed the same meal every day - corn meal porridge and beans, often with maggots and weevils because the corrupt schools buy the cheapest food they can. The ministry's school will provide a solid, age-appropriate education with nutritious meals so the children can focus and grow.

I believe God is working in this ministry and pray that others feel the call to be His hands and feet. What can you do? Will you commit to sponsor a child or organize a group to meet a ministry need? Does your sphere of influence reach wide enough to raise the money to fund a growth project?

"When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required."
Luke 12:48

1 comment:

  1. I am addicted to your blog...even though I cry basically every time I read it! LOVE your heart for Africa. Can't wait to see how God uses you and Mike there!!!

    ReplyDelete