04 August 2011

Boston Getaway for Ashley's Wedding

Last December one of my best friends (and college roommate) announced she was getting married in Massachusetts this summer. I was so excited, I booked our flights seven months prior to our trip and have been counting down since. I haven't seen Ashley since she was in our wedding almost four years ago. I love that our relationship is one where we can pick up right where we left off no matter how much time has past - that's exactly what happened the night we arrived in Boston.

The wedding events were in New Bedford, near where they live. Since neither Mike nor I had been to the area, we decided to build in a few days exploring Boston before heading down to the wedding. We arrived late Wednesday night and were thrilled when Ashley called. She and Chris were up in Boston to pick up her sister at the airport and had a few minutes to stop by our hotel for a quick and exuberant hello. It was fantastic to see them and really set the trip off to a fantastic start!

Our first day we explored - starting in Copley Square

wandered around the Public Gardens

the Boston Commons

Beacon Hill - love the historic neighborhoods

Fenway

up to the North End

dinner at Pizzeria Regina

SO good!

then to Mike's Pastry

the place was packed, lines out the door but the best cannoli ever! I didn't even like cannoli and now I can't stop thinking about them!

Friday afternoon we drove down to Providence. It poured rain so we didn't get to explore much.

the rehearsal was great, then on to the fun

we had a fantastic time at the clam bake Friday night

lobsta!

finally... the wedding!

so happy!

generations of Gators

love her!

Ned's Point Lighthouse near their house

Back in Boston, we were on a mission to try a lobster roll

and explored a bunch more, stumbling on Robert Frost's residence

and a regatta in Cambridge.

We had a really great getaway. Boston is perfect for our favorite type of travel - wander, explore and eat. Just what we needed after a year of balancing school and work, getting very little time together. So happy for Chris and Ashley and still dreaming of Regina's pizza and Mike's cannoli.

This trip accomplishes no.15 on my list. I never really thought about visiting Boston and ended up loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment