God's infinite wisdom astounds me. Right now I'm supposed to be in Florida with Mike, preparing to celebrate the marriage of one of his childhood friends. Instead I'm sleeping on the couch, next to a very sick post-op Summit.
A week ago I started feeling really unsettled about going on the trip. Things at work are crazy, we couldn't find anyone to watch Summit and more then anything something just didn't seem right. For a few days I had this nagging feeling that I needed to cancel my flight and stay home. Stuff hit the fan one day and I just went ahead and pulled the trigger, cancelling my flight, making the nagging feeling a final decision. I told my work I would work Saturday the 15th (the critically over-booked, understaffed day they needed me for) but otherwise left myself off the in-office schedule Wednesday-Friday but making myself available for consultations via phone and in the area for emergencies. As much as I was bummed to be missing the trip home, I felt relieved, like it was definitely the right decision.
Yesterday morning Summit woke up at 5:45a vomiting. That's not crazy rare so we cleaned it up, fed her a little breakfast and I went to work. Mike stayed home with her and she continued getting sick. Late afternoon he offered her a treat and she didn't want it. In over three years Summit has never denied food, ever. He knew instantly something serious was wrong and took her to the vet. They did an exam, an x-ray, gave her fluids for dehydration and kept her for observation. They didn't find anything and at the end of the night, they sent her home and said to come back in the morning if she wasn't feeling better.
Last night was rough, she was depressed, not eating or drinking and wanted to be alone - all things I've never seen her do before. This morning she was even worse. We took her in as soon as they opened. They ran a blood panel which didn't show anything conclusive and decided an ultrasound was the next step. The ultrasound showed an unknown obstruction in her intestine. She needed surgery. She needed her mom. Because of a uneasy feeling God placed on my heart a week ago, I'm here, caring for my girl as she recovers.
No comments:
Post a Comment