25 October 2011

Pre-PA Trip and 30-30 Update

Thank you for all who participated in our little poll. There are still a few days to weigh in but so far the overwhelming majority says Go!

So now the question is where? My sister suggested an Alaskan cruise which seemed to be the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation for this trip but the timing doesn't work out. Cruising season in Alaska doesn't seem to begin until mid-May and Mike's school orientation is scheduled to begin May 20th. We could also go see our friends that live up there (not taking a cruise) but they said it's much better to see Alaska mid to late June. When you're planning a trip like that, we want to see it at it's best!

So back to the drawing board. We are looking to go early May for a week to ten days. We would love to go abroad again but I'm not sure I can save up enough to go back to Italy (a week in Cinque Terre would be heavenly!) or to the Greek Islands. Africa is also on our life list but I think we'll wait and try to go on a mission trip there once Mike is medically trained.

For reference, here's where we have already explored together: New York, Boston, the California coast from LA to San Francisco, Minnesota, Wyoming/Yellowstone, Seattle, the Carolinas, Alabama, Hawaii, the Caribbean and Florida (writing all this out makes me feel extremely blessed).

Currently our list of possibilities for the Pre-PA trip are:
the Oregon Coast
Vermont/Maine (I've been but Mike hasn't)
Costa Rica
· · ·

On another note, I haven't forgotten about my 30 before 30 list.

Taking a trip to Zion would cross one off no.20 but I'd rather go somewhere I haven't been and somewhere that's a little further from our home base (we might be able to squeeze in a long weekend trip there between semesters while Mike's in school).

If we could combine a mission trip in with this getaway that would be awesome and cross off no.18 - I would love to do a mixed serve/explore/relax vacation but I'm not really sure where to find that.
 
On a non-travel note, I'm slowly working on no.13, no.14 and no.23. I'm studying photography, saving up for equipment and forming an idea of what my freelance business and new website will be. I'm also really enjoying reading through the bible.

I've come to terms with the fact that I won't likely complete this list before turning 30 in fourteen months and I'm ok with that. I'm really glad I made the list and have enjoyed all that the list has pushed me to accomplish but also recognize that due to choices, life changes, finances and things beyond my control a few items will likely have to move over to my "life list".

I've updated notes on my progress over on the official list.

Thanks for all your support! Please keep the travel suggestions coming!

1 comment:

  1. hi Leigh! Love the update, wish we would have caught up at Matt's wedding but glad Summit has you at home! I would check the rain season for Costa Rica, we went in July (I think the end of the rain season) and a lot of roads had been washed out and access was limited.
    Another thought for missions trip... check score international. the do a lot of baseball trip to the Dominican and Costa Rica, I think, but they usually take additional people to help, then you could piggy back a vacation while you are there.
    hope this helps... I will try to think of some more options...

    ReplyDelete