26 February 2011

Steamboat Weekend

Valentine's weekend we went up to Steamboat Springs with our friends Jenn and Stephen. We got up there late Friday night, wandered around a bit and headed to bed. We woke up early Saturday morning so I could go rent skis - then we all headed to the resort. Mike, Jenn and Stephen all had free days at Steamboat included on their ski passes!

Stephen and Jenn to ski, Mike to snowboard and I had signed up for a ski lesson (working on number 8 on the list).

well... turns out they did not have free days on their pass and lift tickets at Steamboat are pretty expensive so we ended up returning my rental and heading back to the hotel. Mike and Stephen stayed at the hotel and studied all afternoon (good boys!) while Jenn and I went to walk around in town instead.

we found these little Life is Good onesies and couldn't help picturing our future babies hanging out with each other in them.
Little Slugger for baby Pete :: Big Guy for baby Verwers

we went down to the beautiful Yampa River

and then found this little cafe.
we got a few treats and hung out talking about God for the next few hours - what a great afternoon! Sometimes God changes the plans for a very good reason.

Saturday night we went out for dinner and then to Strawberry Park Hot Springs.

these naturally fed springs are even cooler lit by only the moonlight. We went late enough it was already completely dark so we never saw them like this and it was too dark to take photos but I wanted to give you an idea of what it's like. It was very relaxing sitting in the hot springs with steam rising and being surrounded by snow - a great Colorado experience!

Sunday morning we got up early to drive to Winter Park (where Mike, Jenn and Stephen's passes definitely work).
I spent most of the day taking a lesson while the pros skied the mountain.

We had enough time after my lesson to take one run together. It was slow and not very pretty but I made it down the mountain!

The drive back home was more eventful then I would of liked - ending up in a $545 mechanic bill to replace the fan after overheating the engine but it was still a great weekend with two great friends :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun (sans car troubles)! I am so glad you are having such fun adventures. And you are right, it can be a lot of fun when God changes plans. Unexpected conversations in cafes can be the very best.

    ReplyDelete