31 May 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

What a great holiday weekend!

Friday: I had off Friday and decided to run a bunch of errands and picked up some flowers, plants and a new patio set that I spent the afternoon putting together for our deck. I love it! It makes the outdoor space so much more usable, which I decided was a must now that our beautiful spring/summer/fall weather is starting!

Saturday: Mike got up early to go fishing with his old boss and friend Rick while I got up a little later but still early to go to the REI garage sale before I needed to get to work. I snagged a fabulous tent for our camping trips this summer (hopefully including a meteor shower camping trip in August - number 25: Camp. during a meteor shower, prepare to be checked off!) at a great deal! My used once, REI Hoodoo 3 tent originally retailed for $249 - I got it for $54.83! After my ten minute scramble to find, disassemble and purchase my new tent, I went to work at the store. After work, we met up with our friends Dan and Kimberly and went up to Vine Street for an always delicious burger and then to Denver Day of Rock to see Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers in a free outdoor concert off 16th Street Mall. A great way to spend the evening!

Sunday: I woke up early and decided to do some yard work - apparently I got a little to into it because I lost track of time, Mike overslept and we missed church... so we spent the rest of the morning and afternoon gardening and working on our outside space. We worked on the lawn, pruned all the bushes, planted annuals around the front tree, peony bushes in the back and started our little vegetable garden with Roma tomatoes and cucumbers! I have officially started number 10 on my 30 before 30 list "Plant. create a garden to feed us and provide fresh flowers for the house." I don't feel I can actually check it off until I am sure they're not dead (I have a "way" with plants) and I pull both flowers for the house and veggies we actually eat, stay tuned... Sunday evening Mike went into work and I went to the airport to pick up our friends who just returned from a two week Mediterranean cruise! I got to hear all about their adventures in Italy, Greece, Egypt and Turkey. I think Turkey now officially qualifies under number 15 "Travel. somewhere I never thought I wanted to go." I never would have thought of going to Turkey but it sounds amazing! I'm not sure I'll make it there in the two and a half years I have left (especially with Mike headed back to school and thoughts of a baby in the near future creeping in but it would definitely qualify!)

Monday: Our first small group BBQ of the season! I'm so excited we are having BBQs all summer at each of our friends houses - pretty much every weekend between Memorial Day and Labor Day we will either have small group and bible study with our friends or casual BBQs at rotating houses. Should make for a great summer! The first BBQ was hosted by the Shannons and included Minute to Win It games and great food! Summit even got to come along to play with Rusty and splash around in the baby pool (I think she might be getting one of these this summer - she loved it)!

hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend too!

1 comment:

  1. Love the furniture! The tent looks awesome, but the night under a meteor shower sounds even better. And I think Turkey would be a pretty amazing/challenging trip - there is a lot of history there for our family. I hope your plants take - fresh veggies are the best. Cant wait for our harvest to come in (ie deliveries from all our church friends!)

    ReplyDelete