For the last 20 years, I've done the same thing on Easter. I've put on my Easter dress and drove with my family to the Citrus Club in Winter Park, Florida for Easter Brunch with my Aunt Lois and Uncle Ed. I cherish this time every year. I always got to sit next to my Uncle Ed (at his request) and I have so many wonderful memories of our conversations and the little side comments he said quiet enough only I could hear. For 20 years, I made it there. No matter what. During college, after college, living in other states, I was there. When Dayna couldn't make it down because of going to college in SC or having to be with her husband as he preached Easter Sunday, when Mike couldn't make it because of baseball games, I was there. always. Last year I debated, the plane tickets from Denver were expensive and it would be the first year without my Uncle Ed, I didn't know if I could do that. I did, and I made it through brunch, broke down after brunch but still I was there.
This year we didn't make it back. I'm not sure why exactly. But now, as I sit here in Denver, I only want to be there, with all of them:
And I really, really want to be doing this:

I know it probably doesnt make you feel any better but I was in tears all through the end of our Easter service myself. It just isnt the same, but somehow I felt them with me this year - I hope you find that peace in Easters to come. Love you.
ReplyDelete